Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Daniel Fast

After a couple months of researching, I have decided to a Daniel Fast for 21 days. The Daniel Fast is limited to vegetables, fruits, and water only. The good thing about this is that you can eat all you want during the Daniel Fast.

This fast is based off of Daniel 10:3 which says, " I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks." 

Basically, I am trying to do what Daniel did for those 21 days. There is a book by Susan Gregory which gives you all the information on what you can and can't eat. I can only hope that at the end of 21 days that I have the passion that Daniel did. I know this is going to be very challenging for me. 

Those of you who know me really well know that I am very picky. I hate to try new things, and I think that I can't do it. The Daniel Fast is going to make me try new things and give me the resources to do it. My body is so used to soda and sweets. I am expecting the first week to be really hard, and experience headaches from the loss of caffeine. I feel sorry for those around me as I may experience mood changes as well! The one thing that is going to help is that I have my best friend Sheree doing it with me, and Tony is preparing all my meals.  I can't wait to see how great I feel after these 21 days. Bring it on Daniel Fast,because this Momma is ready!


Below are foods I can eat
All fruit - fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. 
All vegetables - fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned. 
All whole grains - amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat. 
All nuts & seeds - almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds. Nut butters are also included. 
All legumes - canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), great northern beans, kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas. 
All quality oils - canola, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, and sesame. 
Beverages - distilled water, filtered water, and spring water. 
Other - herbs, spices, salt, pepper, seasonings, soy products, and tofu.

Foods I can't eat
All meat & animal products - beef, buffalo, fish, lamb, poultry, and pork. 
All dairy products - butter, cheese, cream, eggs, and milk. 
All sweeteners - agave nectar, artificial sweeteners, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar. 
All leavened bread & yeast - baked goods and Ezekiel bread (if it contains yeast and honey). 
All refined & processed food products - artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice. 
All deep-fried foods - corn chips, French fries, and potato chips. 
All solid fats - lard, margarine, and shortening. 
Beverages - alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks, herbal tea, and tea.

1 comment:

  1. Day 4 baby! I do well until there is cake around. Then its sooooo hard. Glad your doing it to though, it does make it easier.

    ReplyDelete